If you are reading this you are probably already a convert to a low impact lifestyle, and are always looking for more ways to reduce waste further. To round off Plastic Free July which we hope has inspired you, here’s our top 10 eco-friendly bathroom swaps …
1. Soap – is great for washing both your hands and your body. And in good news, it’s making a comeback which means there are so many fabulous locally made brands packed full of natural ingredients which smell incredible and are a pleasure to use.
2. Body scrub – it’s easy to make your own from used coffee grounds, sugar or salt. Here’s our DIY coffee scrub recipe:
1/2 c coffee grounds (used and dried)
1/3 c carrier oil - almond, olive or grape seed (*not coconut)
1/4 c sugar or fine sea salt
1 t vanilla essence
Combine in a bowl and use within a month. How easy is that ... it's a great body scrub, just massage gently on damp skin once a week. Don't have coffee grounds, or hate cleaning the shower? you can substitute sugar or salt although the coffee is definitely gentler.
Make sure you dry out your coffee grounds first to help prevent bacteria or mould growth.
*why not coconut oil? it will harden and clog your drain
3. Dry skin brush or loofah - brushing your skin before you shower or using a loofah not only feels wonderful, but it's also a great way to exfoliate without the messiness of a scrub. Don't brush or rub too hard, it's meant to be pleasant not painful ... And did you know that a loofah is actually a plant? That means it’s fully compostable.
4. Deodorant – there are so many brilliant natural and plastic free deodorants available now. Scented and unscented, pastes in cardboard tubes, tins and salt sticks (which last forever) - but remember, natural products are not going to stop you from sweating.
5. Shampoo & conditioner bars – we hope it goes without saying that switching to solid shampoo and conditioner bars can save not only plastic, but they save you money too when they last twice as long.
6. Hair oil – Pure Argan oil is a wonderful plastic free and natural hair treatment, it’s great for adding extra shine, combating frizz or nourishing your scalp. Use it as a hair mask, leave in conditioner or for smoothing and protecting your hair when heat styling. It's also a key ingredient in our conditioner bar, The Restoring One.
For a low waste hair mask just massage a few drops from your scalp to the tips of your hair, wrap in a towel, leave for a few hours or overnight, then rinse out or try one of these great DIY vegan hair masks.
7. Toothpaste – so many great toothpastes and powders now in glass, aluminium tubes or you can even try tooth tabs. Plus they are made from natural ingredients such as coconut and flavoured with essential oils for that fresh minty breath.
8. Dental floss – you can get plastic free silk or corn starch floss in refillable dispensers. Works just the same, but without the waste.
9. Shea butter – we love this multi-tasking butter for lips, body, hair and face. It’s super-nourishing and brilliant for sensitive skin.
10. Reusable wipes – ditching wet wipes or disposable cotton pads is such an easy swap. You can use make up remover pads or just cut up an old t-shirt and toss them in the wash.
And if you are looking for more inspiration beyond the bathroom, here's a few more ways to ways to make your home more environmentally friendly plus we’ve shared our favourite low impact lifestyle tips here.
Haven’t started your plastic free haircare routine yet?